California Dream Act

AB130 – Privately Funded Scholarships

Signed into law on July 25, 2011 which authorizes AB540 students to apply for privately funded scholarships given out by a California public college/university. This new law will take effect on January 1, 2012.

Requirements: Be classified as AB540

  • Attended a California high school for 3 or more years, or earned credits from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high school in California for a total of at least 3 years

  • Graduate from a California high school, or attain a GED; or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam

  • Register or currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in California

  • Must not hold a valid non-immigrant visa, or a nonimmigrant visa granted with T or U visa

  • File the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form (AB540 affidavit), confirming eligibility and stating that the filer will apply for legal residency when qualified

**Immigrants who are undocumented, holders of U or T visa, and DACA approved are eligible to apply

AB131 – State and Institutional Financial Aid for Undocumented Students 

Allows students that meet the in-state tuition requirements to apply and receive financial aid at California public colleges and universities.

The types of financial aid these students would be eligible for include:

  • Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver

  • Institutional Student Aid: Student aid program administered by the attending college or university (i.e. State University Grant, UC Grant)

  • Cal Grants. These students would not be eligible to apply or receive any competitive Cal Grants unless funding remains available after all California resident students have received competitive awards they are eligible for.

Please apply using the California Student Aid Commission’s CA DREAM ACT online application. To avoid scams, never pay money to apply for scholarships. Please contact us or your financial aid advisor for any questions.